26.8.08

Enlighten Yourself!!!

So it occurred to me today that few people care to further their knowledge. I, personally, don't have a TV and I could care less from what country Brad and Angelina are adopting from this month. I love reading. Yes I admit, not all the books I read are by Dostoevsky or the like, some of the books I read are just books. Things that are quick reads, the kind that get you through a flight or a wait at a doctors office. What I really love though are the books that you can read only a chapter at a time just to work through the words and the plot. Sometimes I even have to chart out the books and keep my laptop near by so I can look words I don't know up.
It saddens me that people no longer read. They just want to sit and watch TV or play games on the Internet. Don't get me wrong, I love watching movies and am addicted to the computer, but I can't imagine a life without books. I'm constantly reading, even if it's just one page before I go to bed. With technology advancing as it is I think that reading will become less and less, and it's already almost non-existent. I thrive to extend my vocabulary one word each day. I honestly don't know half of the 'slang' terms out there. A friend called me over the weekend and asked me 'what's good?'. I'm assuming it's some sort of greeting like the ever popular what's goin' on, but at the time I was completely stumped. I don't want to sound pompous or arrogant but today's culture may know what 'what's good' means but understand what someone means when they say they are 'scrupulous about the way our culture is headed.' I'm baffled by it!!
Maybe it is just a part of the culture of the south or something... I know that our current education systems are lacking throughout, but I can't imagine not wanting to learn as much as you can about everything. I know that is in part due to the fact that I have a father who is a career student, I swear was in school more often than I was as a child. I know that improper grammar is a regional recognition of the south. I try my best not to correct people when they are speaking. I grew up with an English major, improper grammar was CONSTANTLY corrected, as a result I know how to speak properly and feel awkward when I don't.

My advice this evening is to read a book this month. If you 'don't have time' MAKE the time. You're knowledge and ultimately you're mind ('exercising' your brain regularly has been show to reduce chances of Alzheimer's) depend on it!!! Encourage those around you to turn off the TV and read. ANYTHING is better than switching into neutral and allowing your brain to melt away.

embrace.

No comments: